Responsible Gaming – Why It Is Important
Gambling, whether it is at a brick-and-mortar casino or an online one, is fun. That is precisely why it can also be addictive. Gambling addiction is something that you cannot easily get out of, which is why casinos and online gambling sites urge their members to play responsibly. Responsible gaming is the concept that all casino enthusiasts should adhere to, to protect themselves from the harmful consequences that gambling addiction can have.
Consequences of gambling addiction
Gambling addicts strive on the false belief that sooner or later they are going to hit the jackpot, and this idea is what keeps them going even when they are on a losing streak. With the false hope that they are going to win big soon, they keep playing and spend all their money to such an extent that it affects their financial condition and also damages their personal relationships.
So how do you stay safe then? Here are a few warning signs you must watch out for.
- If gambling is constantly on your mind, regardless of where you are and what you are doing
- If you are spending more money than you can afford to on gambling
- Borrowing money, selling valuables to fund your gambling activities
- Feeling empty and bored when not gambling
- Using gambling as an escape from other personal issues like marital problems, financial troubles, stress, depression etc.
If you find that your debts are also increasing due to your gambling habit, it is time you sought help to get out of it.
How to play responsibly
Playing responsibly from the beginning will help you stay clear of problem gambling. Here are a few tips you can keep in mind for that.
- Gambling should not be considered as a means to make money.
- DO NOT chase losses
- Gamble only with money that is spare – an amount that you can afford to lose without impacting your finances in any way
- Set a limit to the amount and time you spend on gambling
- Try to indulge in other activities besides gambling to maintain a balance
If none of the above work, seek help from the many support groups that people with problem gambling can turn to.
Links for Help sites